difference between raw_input() and input()

Thu Aug 20 10:54:04 EDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 03:24:15 -0700, baalu aanand wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I have used both raw_input() and input() for a same input value.
> But these gives different output.
>
>      I have listed below what actually I have done
>
>             >>> a = raw_input("===>")
>                    ===> 023
>             >>> a
>                     '023'
>
>      I have given the same value for the input() but it gives 19 as
> result
>             >>> a = input("===>")
>                    ===>  023
>             >>> a
>                     19
>
>   Is there anything hide within this. Please illustrate the difference
> between raw_input() and input()

Did you look them up in the documentation?

Did you try the interactive help?

help(input)
help(raw_input)

Perhaps you could try some further experiments:

>>> raw_input()
hello world
'hello world'
>>> input()
hello world
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 1
    hello world
             ^
SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing

Does that give you a hint as to what is happening?

How about this?

>>> 07
7
>>> 08