install package in a particular python version

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 21 01:18:09 EDT 2009

Steve1234 <sflennik at comcast.net> writes:

> I installed the boto module in my Ubuntu system using "python setup.py
> install" and it installs in my python2.6 version and works great.

That's because your ‘python’ command is doing the same thing as if you'd
typed::

    $ python2.6 setup.py install

The Python 2.6 interpreter knows where its ‘site-packages’ path is, and
so ‘setup.py’ in turn knows where to put files.

> Now I want to install boto into my python2.5 version

Invoke the specific Python interpreter you want::

    $ python2.5 setup.py install

--
 \        “Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas |
  `\     are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.” |