ncurses getch & unicode (was: decoding keyboard input when using curses)

Iñigo Serna inigoserna at
Fri Aug 21 13:58:38 CEST 2009

2009/8/21 Thomas Dickey <dickey at>:
> On Aug 20, 6:12 pm, Iñigo Serna <inigose... at> wrote:
>>         c = win.getch()
> You're using "getch", not "get_wch" (Python's ncurses binding may/may
> not have the latter).
> curses getch returns 8-bit values, get_wch would return wider values.

you are right, ncurses binding does not have get_wch, only getch, and
this last is the only one called in ncurses library bindings.

Anyway, I've written a patch to include the get_wch method in the bindings.

Thanks for the clarification,