Annoying octal notation

Sat Aug 22 05:57:32 EDT 2009

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:15:16 +0200, David wrote:

> 3) I don't understand why useless but *harmless* things like
> algebrically insignificant leading zeros should be *forbidden* and
> promoted to errors.

The PEP covering this change says:

"There are still some strong feelings that '0123' should be allowed as a
literal decimal in Python 3.0. If this is the right thing to do, this can
easily be covered in an additional PEP. This proposal only takes the
first step of making '0123' not be a valid octal number, for reasons
covered in the rationale."

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3127/

--
Steven