Is Python what I need?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.com.pl
Sun Aug 23 11:36:32 EDT 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, newbie wrote:

> Hi all
> I'm interested in developing computer based, interactive programs for
> students in a special school who have an aversion to pen and paper.
> I've searched the net to find ready made software that will meet my
> needs but it is either written to a level much higher than these
> students can cope with or priced beyond our school budget. I came
> across a blog of someone singing the praises of Python. My question is
> therefore aimed at those that know what they are talking about (ie
> users in this group). Is Python the language I need to learn to
> develop these programs?

Perhaps, maybe, yes.

Python has simple syntax and it can be grasped quite fast. It is also
quite easy IMHO to go from easy interactive, calculator-like stuff to
bigger things. It also has quite big library of specialized functions, to
be used in bigger programs.

So if this is what you are looking for, it seems you are in the right
place.

You may also have a look at Squeak. It is an implementation of Smalltalk
language. As far as I can tell, it is targeted for kid users or young
students, who are interested in programming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeak

Or, I mean, Smalltalk is a general purpose language, just as Python. It is
not a "kid language". Squeak, however, seems to be a bit easier for new
users. After tinkering with it a little, I think it has few batteries not
only included (like Python has) but connected to few toys as well. This
makes it more playable than Python after unpacking the box.

Wrt languages, their "goodness" or differences between them - I am pretty
much sure a number of people will start pointing them out to you. But I
don't think this is really that much important. All languages are more or
less similar because they serve the same purpose. Just try and do not use
(Visual) Basic :-) and you should be ok. Well, maybe this is just me, but
I consider VB to be a dead-end. Besides, if this is going to be "let's
show them how interesting it is", you should stay away from languages more
complicated, like Java. Those who are going to learn Java, will learn it
anyway. Knowing something different and cool first should not kill them.
Quite the contrary, it can be an eye opener.

Regards
Tomasz Rola