[Diversity] Language note

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Sun Aug 23 11:55:11 EDT 2009

In article <mailman.4473.1249755333.8015.python-list at python.org>,
Rami Chowdhury  <rami.chowdhury at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Most indian languages have a different
>> grammer (compared to English). So i'm curious to see how that would be
>> implemented in a parser
>
>+1 -- I'd be interested in seeing this too, although we have drifted
>OT here and perhaps this conversation would be better had on Python-
>list. The closest I've seen to a language being able to support
>different grammatical structures is Perligata (http://
>www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/HTML/Perligata.html), does
>Python have anything similar?
			.
			.
			.
Yes and no.

There's considerably more to say on the subject than my own
patience permits for now.  Highlights, though:  I regard it
as a big deal whether a language permits Unicode in spelling
variable names (Python 3 does, despite <URL:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/idle-dev/2000-April/000133.html >,
and presumably you know the situation in Perl); languages like
Lisp, Forth, and Tcl have minimal syntax, and rich traditions
of construction of problem-specific "little languages", so it's
common in them to see, for example, object orientation modeled
with a variety of lexical orders; and my own favorite
"little-language" work in Python has generally modeled VSO
human languages.