IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wb') or filename: in windows xp while making tarfile

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Aug 23 16:14:41 EDT 2009

Ryniek90 wrote:
> I've got my backup script which opens tarfile for add chosen file to it.
> But while setting it up, i've got Traceback:
> here's the url: -->http://paste.ubuntu.com/258081/<--
>
> I have searched among google's result but didn't found anything useful.
> Only found info that it may be the backslashes fault in path, but i have
> written proper the path.
>
> Here's link to my script paste: http://paste.ubuntu.com/258087/
>
> Is its the '|\U' literal fault in path '|C:\\Users\\Ryniek's
> WinSe7en\\MyNewGGBackup(2009-08-23 14:59:02).tar.bz2|' ?
>
> Sorry if i'm annoying but i'm still learning.

It's probably a misleading error from the OS; I would guess the problem
is that the filename contains colons, which I believe is a no-no on Windows.

You want to make sure to always escape your backslashes (or use raw
strings), too, or that's going to bite you sometime later (but it's not
your main problem here).

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis
   Every human being is a problem in search of a solution.
    -- Ashley Montague