Need cleanup advice for multiline string

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Aug 24 03:40:03 EDT 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I'm amused and somewhat perplexed that somebody with the non-English
> name of Stefan, writing from a .de email address, seems to be assuming
> that (1) everybody is on the Internet, and (2) everybody on the Internet
> speaks English.

Oh, I totally don't. But most people who read c.l.py do at least understand
it to a certain extent. I don't commonly read /that/ many
non-english-speaking Python forums thoroughly enough to assume that the OP
posted the question only in English and only in c.l.py. I don't even assume
that he only posted that question to an Internet newsgroup. You know,
there's real-life, too.

>> But reading statements like the above really makes me feel that it's
>> best to comment even on simple things like "hi guys!".
>
> Or you could enter the 21 century and understand that "guys" has become a
> generic term for people of any sex.

Is that true for everyone who understands and/or writes English? In that
case, I'm fine with your above statement. Otherwise, I'd wonder who you
meant with the term "cultural chauvinism". So far, I only learned that most
North-American English native speakers use that term in the way you refer
to. That doesn't even get you close to the majority of English speakers.

Stefan