Annoying octal notation

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:31:13 EDT 2009

On Aug 24, 6:56 am, Derek Martin <c... at pizzashack.org> wrote:
> I think
> hard-coding dates is more uncommon than using octal. ;-)  [It
> unquestionably is, for me personally.]

You just don't get it, do you?  Do you really think this is a contest
over what's more common and the winner gets to choose the syntax?  You
really think that's the issue?

It is not.  The issue is that C's arcane octal notation is MIND-
BOGGLINGLY RETARDED.

So, even if Unix file permissions were a hundred times more common
than padding integer constants with zero, it still wouldn't be a good
idea to have it in Python because the notation is retarded.

Even if 99.999% of other languages use the notation, it still wouldn't
be a good idea to have it in Python because the notation is retarded.

The vast majority of people reading this will understand intuitively
why the arcane octal notation is retarded.  I was going to explain it,
but I decided it's not worth a serious argument.

Carl Banks