best way to display photos

Paul Rubin http
Mon Aug 24 22:01:49 EDT 2009

samwyse <samwyse at gmail.com> writes:
> My big question is, what's the
> best way to display the photos.  I've used PIL in the past, but IIRC
> it uses an external program.  Pygame is the next obvious choice, but
> like PIL it requires an add-in.  That leaves Tkinter.  Has anyone used
> it to display .JPG files, perhaps with rescaling to fit my screen?

I've displayed images with tkinter -- I remember there is some kind of
trick you have to do to prevent them from being gc'd prematurely but
I've forgotten the specifics.  However, for the kind of thing you're
doing, a one-off app that you don't have to impress anyone with by
making it slick, the simplest thing to do is just slam together an
HTML page and view it with a browser, with an entry field next to each
picture, and a "submit" button.  Then run a near-trivial http server
that collects the form submissions and saves them to a file.