TypeError: _getfullpathname() argument 1 must be (buffer overflow), not str in windows xp, while making tarfile

Ryniek90 ryniek90 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 17:22:13 EDT 2009

> Ryniek90 wrote:
>> Referring to my earlier posts:
>> http://groups.google.pl/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/4e34f995800f5352?hl=pl
>>

>> and
>>
>> http://groups.google.pl/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/abf5573b8fceb37e?hl=pl#
>>

>> I've dealt with those errors. but now have another.
>> When my backup scripts starts to backup chosen file, python gave me
>> Traceback:
>>
>> "
>> C:\Users\Ryniek's WinSe7en\Documents\My
>> Dropbox\Aplikacje\Moje_aplikacje\Pythonowe_aplikacje\Skrypty>python ba
>> ckuper.py -f F:\APLIKACJE\nowegg.exe F:\ MyGGBackup
>> Checking permissions for reading and writing...
>> Have permissions on [F:\APLIKACJE\nowegg.exe] for reading.
>> Have permissions on [F:\] for writing.
>> Preparing for backup [nowegg.exe]...
>> Starting backup...
>> Now adding [nowegg.exe]...
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "backuper.py", line 197, in <module>
>>    main_meth()
>>  File "backuper.py", line 189, in main_meth
>>    paq.backup_file(pars.options.filename[0],
>> pars.options.filename[1], pars.options.filename[2])
>>  File "backuper.py", line 127, in backup_file
>>    backup_obj.add(read_bin_obj)
>>  File "E:\WinSe7en Apps\APLIKACJE\ActiveState Python
>> 2.6\lib\tarfile.py", line 1948, in add
>>    if self.name is not None and os.path.abspath(name) == self.name:
>>  File "E:\WinSe7en Apps\APLIKACJE\ActiveState Python
>> 2.6\lib\ntpath.py", line 458, in abspath
>>    path = _getfullpathname(path)
>> TypeError: _getfullpathname() argument 1 must be (buffer overflow),
>> not str
>> "
>>
>> I've searched over google, but found only that is bug in Python (
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue4071  - in that issue bug is inside
>> Python 2.5.2 - i've got ActiveState Active Python with core Python
>> 2.6.2), and another  info:   *http://tinyurl.com/lvyn7o  and
>> **http://tinyurl.com/kn49vk
>> *
>>
>> Here's my script code:
>> *http://paste.ubuntu.com/259310/
>>
>> *Shouldn't that bug be patched already  :-?
> Are you giving it the contents of the file when it's actually expecting
> the filename?

Of course the content of the file:
"
C:\Users\Ryniek's WinSe7en\Documents\My
Dropbox\Aplikacje\Moje_aplikacje\Pythonowe_aplikacje\Skrypty>python ba
ckuper.py -f F:\APLIKACJE\nowegg.exe F:\ MyGGBackup
Checking permissions for reading and writing...
Have permissions on [F:\APLIKACJE\nowegg.exe] for reading.
Have permissions on [F:\] for writing.
Preparing for backup [nowegg.exe]...
Starting backup...
Now adding [nowegg.exe]...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "backuper.py", line 196, in <module>
    main_meth()
  File "backuper.py", line 188, in main_meth
    paq.backup_file(pars.options.filename[0], pars.options.filename[1],
pars.options.filename[2])
  File "backuper.py", line 126, in backup_file
    backup_obj.add(read_obj.read())
  File "E:\WinSe7en Apps\APLIKACJE\ActiveState Python
2.6\lib\tarfile.py", line 1948, in add
    if self.name is not None and os.path.abspath(name) == self.name:
  File "E:\WinSe7en Apps\APLIKACJE\ActiveState Python
2.6\lib\ntpath.py", line 458, in abspath
    path = _getfullpathname(path)
TypeError: _getfullpathname() argument 1 must be (buffer overflow), not str
"

See? *backup_obj.add(read_obj.read())*
In previous pasted Traceback you can see *backup_obj.add(read_bin_obj)*
- read_obj_bin was a reference to the *read_obj.read()* .

Do only I have this problem or Python programming under Windows is
nightmare?