Move dictionary from instance to class level

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Aug 27 04:56:47 EDT 2009

Dave Angel wrote:

> Show me a sample client event handler, and maybe I can suggest how to
> encode it.  For example in wxPython, events are encoded  with
> an event
> object.  You could have the event send the object's type-string as an
> event ID.  No lookup at all.  And in fact, one event handler
> then might
> handle several of the events for a given widget, or even for multiple
> ones.  I guess it's not that simple, since you frequently
> have to pass
> other information, such as the state of the Ctrl-key, or the mouse
> position on the screen, which is not directly encoded in the
> event type.

That is definitely *not* what I want to do.

I want to make the server as generic as possible, so that it can handle any
type of client, hopefully even including a browser eventually. Therefore the
server has no knowledge of wxPython event types.

I have abstracted all the event types I am interested in (the list is fairly
stable now). My protocol requires that the client maps a specific gui event
type to a message identifier, and the server maps the message identifier to
a method that handles the message.

Hope that makes sense.

Frank