[OT] How do I reply to a thread by sending a message to python-list at python.org

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 28 04:54:30 EDT 2009

Hendrik van Rooyen <hendrik at microcorp.co.za> writes:

> If I [use the “reply to author” command], then the mail would go just
> to you, and not to the list at all, which is not what I suspect you
> want, in view of what you have just said.

Right. The common “reply” command in most mail clients means “reply to
author”, and as you say, it requests to compose a reply addressed to the
author.

> It would really be nice if the "reply" would go to the list, but for
> the digest versions, at least, it does not.

No, it really wouldn't; because if you're asking to compose a message
address to the *author*, and it instead gets addressed to the whole
*list*, that's a recipe for disastrous communication errors.

Instead, it would be nice if people had a “reply to list” command, and
used that when they choose to send a message to the list.

> And different mail clients do not seem to make a difference.

Fortunately, the messages that come from the list enable any mail client
to know the correct address for “reply to list”. It only remains to
choose a mail client that knows how to use it.

--
 \       “… one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was |
  `\        that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful |