Numeric literals in other than base 10 - was Annoying octal notation

Steven D'Aprano steve at
Fri Aug 28 15:43:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:49:27 -0700, Mensanator wrote:

> Fine. I'm over it. Point is, I HAVE encountered plenty of people who
> DON'T properly understand it, Marilyn Vos Savant, for example.

I'm curious -- please explain. Links please?

> You can't
> blame me for thinking you don't understand it either when unary is
> brought up in a discussion of how to interpret insignificant leading
> 0's.

Er, when I show an example of what I'm calling unary, and then later on
explain in detail and link to a detailed discussion of it, who exactly
should I blame for your confusion?