What python can NOT do?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.com.pl
Fri Aug 28 23:37:34 EDT 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, qwe rty wrote:

> i know that an interpreted language like python can't be used to make
> an operating system or system drivers.
>
> what else can NOT be done in python? what are the limitations of the
> language?

Oh, my. And now everybody points at you this Turing-completeness. The
issue, in my opinion, is not that something cannot be done. The truth
about Turing-completeness is, I would say, you can do whatever but
sometimes you will not because it would be too ugly. My private list of
things that when implemented in Python would be ugly to the point of
calling it difficult:

1. AMB operator - my very favourite. In one sentence, either language
allows one to do it easily or one would not want to do it (in an ugly
way).

http://www.randomhacks.net/articles/2005/10/11/amb-operator

After quite some googling I was finally able to locate sample
implementation, but I cannot say ATM how well it works and if it is
practical enough to use it in any of my programs. If time permits, I will
try it, hopefully.

http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?AmbInPython

2. Changing the language from the inside.

Everybody can change the interpreter, right? But how about doing some
bigger, maybe even fundamental change to the language by means offered by
the language itself?

Example:

If Python had no object system, or if I wanted to implement one in
different way (say, I would like to experiment or I would not want to wait
for a new release). In some languages that interest me now, it is possible
and practical, more or less. So it can sometimes backfire - what OO system
should I choose for my next Scheme program, etc. Because there are few of
them :-), all (? - I believe) implemented as a code library. Just install
it and off you go, now you have OO programming. Actually, I don't use OO
all that much recently (maybe I feel disapointed a bit, or something).

Also, I have read (but not checked it myself) that for some time Common
Lisp had it's now-official CLOS distributed and tested in a form of
library. Say, have they adopted OO with single inheritance as a part of CL
ANSI standard - I would still be able to have OO with multiple
inheritance. I would just have to download and install CLOS. No change to
interpreter or compiler. From their point of view, CLOS would be just
another library.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Lisp_Object_System

Judging by this code, introducing OO to the language is relatively easy:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme-Z-H-14.html

It is not possible to alter Python in a minor way, I think. Something
simpler than OO, like a new keyword or structures:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme-Z-H-10.html
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme-Z-H-11.html

Some readers could oppose the above by saying that Lisp's syntax is so
primitive that it can be used to implement just any programming paradigm,
so having it as a loadable code is not a big achievement. Well, it seems
to me that Python has even simpler syntax or on par with Lisp family,
so...

Some (perhaps other) readers could also say, that there is no need to
extend Python. It already has sets and "yield" and... But some time ago it
did not. As far as I can tell, it can be a bit too hard to go into
"experimenting mode" with Python. Something like adding "yield" all but
myself. It only takes few kilos of code for a working OO in another
language, so how hard could such "yield" be? Well, in Python I probably
wouldn't dare.

BTW I hope nobody's feeling have been hurt. This was meant to be
informative, not offensive.

BTW2. As I said, these are _possible_ things (Turing complete language,
and so on). But adding them would require some hard work and would produce
ugly and/or fragile code, so I decided it could be easier to learn another
language...

Regards,
Tomasz Rola