An assessment of the Unicode standard

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Sun Aug 30 14:08:34 EDT 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:14:55 -0700, John Nagle wrote:

>     (I wish the HTML standards people would do the same.  HTML 5
> should have been ASCII only (with the "&" escapes if desired)
> or Unicode.  No "Latin-1", no upper code pages, no JIS, etc.)

IOW, you want the HTML standards to continue to be meaningless documents,
and "HTML" to continue to mean "what browsers support".

Because that would be the likely consequence of such a stance. Japanese
websites will continue to use Shift-JIS, Japanese cellphones (or
Scandanavian cellphones aimed at the Japanese market, for that matter)
will continue to render websites which use Shift-JIS, and HTML 5 will be
just as much a pure academic exercise as all of the other HTML standards.