Python docs disappointing - group effort to hire writers?

Kee Nethery kee at kagi.com
Thu Aug 6 10:39:10 EDT 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 6:55 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:

> RayS wrote:
>> At 08:35 PM 8/5/2009 -0700, r wrote:
>>> """... Any real sense of community is undermined -- or
>>> even destroyed -- to be replaced by virtual equivalents that strive,
>>> unsuccessfully, to synthesize a sense of community."""
>> I've brought up the idea of the quasi-community doc that PHP uses
>> to good effect.
>
> And what have you done about setting up such a project?
>
>> http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.array.php is a prime
>> example where 2/3 of the "doc" is user-contributed comments and code.
>
> I consider consider this to an unreadable mishmash. If you and
> others want something like that, do it.  And quite bitching about
> the work of those of us who have done something compact and
> readable. We are all volunteers here.

As I struggle through trying to figure out how to make python do
simple stuff for me, I frequently generate samples. If some volunteer
here would point me towards the documentation that would tell me how I
can alter the existing Python docs to include sample code, I'd be more
than happy to do so.

I would like to "do it". Please point me to the docs that tell me how
to "do it" so that we people with newbie questions and a need for
examples can get out of your way and "do it" ourselves.

Thanks,
Kee Nethery