Report spammers to their service provider for great justice (was: can you say it please)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Dec 1 17:53:20 EST 2009

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:

> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:31:51 -0800, Processor-Dev1l wrote:
>
> > does it mean ...
>
> Please don't respond to religious nutters or spammers, you only
> encourage them.

Instead, report them to the provider they used to send their message, as
an abuse of service.

Look in the message header; in the overwhelming majority of cases they
will have used Google, so you'll find a ‘Complaints-To’ field with an
email address as its value. Forward the entire message to that address
and explain the message is an abuse of service.

Yes, this actually does reach real people who can do something about it
(though you won't get a response); it's the reason we don't see *even
more* of this crap.

--
 \               “I was sleeping the other night, alone, thanks to the |
  `\                                       exterminator.” —Emo Philips |