Noob thread lock question

Astley Le Jasper astley.lejasper at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 14:33:27 EST 2009

I have a number of threads that write to a database. I have created a
thread lock, but my question is this:

- If one thread hits a lock, do a) all the other threads stop, or b)
just the ones that come to the same lock?
- I presume that the answer is b. In which case do the threads stop
only if they come to the same instance of a lock. For example, you
could have a lock instance for one database and another instance for
another database (first_db_thread_lock = threading.RLock() ....
second_db_thread_lock = threading.RLock()).

I appreciate this is a bit of a noob question, but I didn't want to
assume anything.

ALJ