Question on Python as career

r0g aioe.org at technicalbloke.com
Thu Dec 3 04:02:55 EST 2009

Tim Roberts wrote:
> joy99 <subhakolkata1234 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am a researcher in India's one of the premier institutes.(Indian
>> Institute of Science,Bangalore).
>>
>> I have done one MA in Linguistics, did a PhD in Natural Language
>> Processing and doing a Post Doctoral now.
>> After I complete my Post Doctoral which may be only 2-3 months away,
>> with this knowledge can I join IT?
>
> Wouldn't you say you have already joined IT?
>
> It's difficult for me to believe that you have managed to get all the way
> through a PhD without cultivating close relationships with at least one
> private sector company.  Unless you had planned to stay in research
> throughout your life, wouldn't that have been an obvious step along the
> way?
>
>> Are there any India based opportunities- as I checked Python job board
>> it is very less.
>
> There are very, very few full-time Python jobs anywhere in the world,
> although many people use Python as one tool in their toolbox.
>
>> If I get anything after completing my Post Doc with present base of
>> knowledge what profiles I may expect?
>> If I have to learn anything what they may be and how much time
>> generally a person needs to learn them and what may be the profile
>> expectancy?
>
> I am amazed that a PhD does not already have some clues about the answers
> to these questions.  Your best plan is to start exploiting your network of
> contacts.  If you don't already have a network of commercial contacts, then
> you have a long, hard road ahead of you.

Getting involved in an open source project or two may bolster your CV
and help you get your foot in the door. Employers always like a bit of
real worlds experience - some even insist on it. There are thousands of
open source projects using python you could contribute to, or you could
found your own. You sound like a bright guy, maybe you could be the next
Bram Cohen?

Roger.