Why Can't I Delete a File I Created with Win XP?

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 6 14:08:25 EST 2009

J wrote:

> But that being said, this brings to mind a question about this...  in
> *nix, when I can't do something like delete a file or directory, or
> unmount a filesystem and cant find the cause, I can do an lsof and
> grep for references to the file/directory in question, then work from
> there to close anything that still has a lock.

It's been a while since a last had this problem.  I found a program
named "handle.exe" somewhere on microsoft.com.  It spits out a listing
showing which process has which files open.  You can kill the offending
processes, and then you can delete your file.

I suppose Google can help you find this program.

Hope this helps,

-- HansM