python proxy checker ,change to threaded version

r0g aioe.org at technicalbloke.com
Mon Dec 7 18:30:50 EST 2009

Terry Reedy wrote:
> r0g wrote:
>
>> The trick to threads is to create a subclass of threading.Thread, define
>> the 'run' function and call the 'start()' method. I find threading quite
>> generally useful so I created this simple generic function for running
>> things in threads...
>
> Great idea. Thanks for posting this.
>
>> def run_in_thread( func, func_args=[], callback=None, callback_args=[] ):
>>     import threading
>>     class MyThread ( threading.Thread ):
>>        def run ( self ):
>>
>>             # Call function
>>             if function_args:
>>                 result = function(*function_args)
>>             else:
>>                 result = function()
>
> The check is not necessary. by design, f(*[]) == f()

Excellent, thanks Terry :)

I knew it would be simpler than I thought! I've been writing a lot of
PHP and AS3 recently and it's easy to forget how python often just works
without needing the same level of hand holding, error checking &
defensive coding as other languages!

> Names do not match param names ;=)

Oops yeah! Thought I'd refactor my painfully verbose variable names
before posting in a 70 char wide medium but it looks like I missed one!
*blush*

Roger.