When will Python 3 be fully deployed

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Wed Dec 9 12:53:21 EST 2009

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 22:10:15 +0000, Edward A. Falk wrote:

>>I recently read that many libraries, including Numpy have not been
>>ported to Python 3.
>>
>>When do you think that Python 3 will be fully deployed?
>
> It will never be fully deployed.  There will always be people out there who
> haven't felt it necessary to upgrade their systems.

Moreover, there will always be people out there who have felt it necessary
not to upgrade their systems.

IMNSHO, Python 2 will still be alive when Python 4 is released. If
python.org doesn't want to maintain it, ActiveState will.

In particular: for Unix scripting, Python 3's Unicode obsession just gets
in the way. Ultimately, argv, environ, filenames, etc really are just byte
strings. Converting to Unicode just means that the first thing that the
script does is to convert back to bytes.

I'm sure that the Unicode approach works great on Windows, where wchar_t
is so pervasive that Microsoft may as well have just redefined "char"
(even to the point of preferring UTF-16-LE for text files over UTF-8,
ASCII-compatibility be damned).

But on Unix, it's a square-peg-round-hole situation.