Graph library for Python

Bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Dec 10 10:57:00 EST 2009

Geremy Condra:

> is there a particular way you want your attribution line to read?

You can just use my nickname (in all lowercase), with the list of
parts you have used. Don't worry.

> Well, we all seem to have reinvented the wheel differently ;)

Maybe also because they are designed for different purposes.

> Bearophile, Tiago- any interest in trying to combine the
> best parts of our libraries, with an eye towards eventual
> integration into the standard library?

The first thing to do is to ask Guido and Hettinger if they are
willing to put a "good" graph module into the std lib. If their answer
is positive for some definition of "good", then we can think about
doing something.

Several years ago I have suggested to put a graph module in the std
lib, and the answer was something like: "Put the lib online, and if
people use it a lot, we'll see to put it into the std lib." In the
meantime my lib was used by no one and ten other graph libs are used
(networkx seems among the most used), but I think no one of them has
shown a strong usage. (In the meantime Hettinger has written and added
two or three or four GOOD data structures to the std lib using a "fast
lane", avoiding the step of popular usage test).

Bye,
bearophile