umath import error for Numpy builds on OSX 10.6

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 23:47:51 EST 2009

On 2009-12-10 17:41 PM, hardcoreUFO wrote:
> On Dec 11, 12:29 pm, Robert Kern<robert.k... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Don't specify LDFLAGS if you don't have to. It is obliterating the -l flag for
>> the npy_math library that numpy builds internally and tries to link with.
>
> Unfortunately, that did not eliminate the error. I thought it was
> something that was changed in Numpy, because my first go at building
> was successful on Snow Leopard; it suddenly stopped working a few
> weeks ago.

Right, when the -lnpymath stuff got checked in. Looking at the build log you
posted to numpy-discusson, it does appear that the $LDFLAGS is obliterating the
intended flags. Please post a build log without setting those flags to
numpy-discussion. A correct link line should look something like this:

gcc -arch i386 -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -g -bundle
-undefined dynamic_lookup
build/temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5/numpy/core/src/umath/umathmodule_onefile.o
-Lbuild/temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5 -lnpymath -o
build/lib.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5/numpy/core/umath.so

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco