Spawning an interactive interpreter in a running python process?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Dec 11 23:49:33 EST 2009

>     I'm curious, in an academic sense, if it's possible to spawn the
> interactive interpreter (>>>) in a running python application. Ideally, I
> would like to be able to access the modules, functions and variables the
> application can.
>
> Is something like this possible?

While not exactly "the interactive interpreter", you can use pdb
to drop to a debugging prompt where you can "access the modules,
functions and variables the application can".  The common idiom
is to insert a line like

   import pdb; pdb.set_trace()

in your code to have a break-point stop execution at the
designated point and leave you at a prompt where you can explore.

-tkc