Graph library for Python

Tiago de Paula Peixoto tiago at forked.de
Sat Dec 12 07:21:00 EST 2009

On 12/10/2009 01:57 PM, Bearophile wrote:
> Geremy Condra:
>> Well, we all seem to have reinvented the wheel differently ;)
>
> Maybe also because they are designed for different purposes.

This is true. For instance, the data structures and most algorithms in
graph-tool are implemented in C++ to achieve good performance, which is
necessary if you are working with very large graphs. I think this
differs from most python graph libraries, which don't have this as a
high priority.

>> Bearophile, Tiago- any interest in trying to combine the
>> best parts of our libraries, with an eye towards eventual
>> integration into the standard library?
>
> The first thing to do is to ask Guido and Hettinger if they are
> willing to put a "good" graph module into the std lib. If their answer
> is positive for some definition of "good", then we can think about
> doing something.

A crucial element in this hypothetical module would be the main graph
data structure. The simplest approach would be to implement it in pure
python, with lists, dicts and such, as many libraries do. However, this
would rule out its use by high-performance code, which would need a
simpler C-based data structure for direct interaction. On the other
hand, I'm not sure if there is a need for a high performance graph
module in python's standard library...

Cheers,
Tiago