More stuff added to ch 2 of my programming intro

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Thu Dec 17 11:12:37 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:

>> > or (for MacPorts fans):
>> >
>> > $ sudo port install python31
>>

>> And since I haven't got one, this also tells me nothing.
>
> http://www.macports.org/
>
> "The MacPorts Project is an open-source community initiative to design
> an easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either
> command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the Mac OS X
> operating system."

Description sans marketing fluff: It's a Mac package manager. It's
basically the same as Gentoo's portage if you've ever used that. It
downloads source tarballs and patches and then compiles them locally.
There are built-in lists of "variants", basically sets of configure
args, to compile each package.