Help with invoking standard mail app in windows

Astan Chee astan.chee at al.com.au
Fri Dec 18 10:31:51 EST 2009

Hi,
I'm trying to launch standard mail app in windows and after looking
around most look like this:

import urllib, webbrowser, win32api
def mailto_url(to=None,subject=None,body=None,cc=None):
    """
    encodes the content as a mailto link as described on
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2368.html
    """
    url = "mailto: " + urllib.quote(to.strip(),"@,")
    sep = "?"
    if cc:
        url+= sep + "cc=" + urllib.quote(cc,"@,")
        sep = "&"
    if subject:
        url+= sep + "subject=" + urllib.quote(subject,"")
        sep = "&"
    if body:
        # Also note that line breaks in the body of a message MUST be
        # encoded with "%0D%0A". (RFC 2368)
        body="\r\n".join(body.splitlines())
        url+= sep + "body=" + urllib.quote(body,"")
        sep = "&"
    return url

url = mailto_url(txtTo,txtSubject,body,txtCC)
# win32api.ShellExecute(0,'open',url,None,None,0)
webbrowser.open(url,new=1)
# os.startfile(url)

all of these are having "WindowsError : [Error 5] Access is denied"
errors. I'm using windows xp and python 2.5. I have outlook 2007
installed as a default mail client. Clicking on any mailto links in html
brings up the normal write mail from the mail client. Any ideas why this
is happening or how do I debug what access is being denied?
Thanks for any help
Astan