How to create a docstring for a module?

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 18 14:04:33 EST 2009

In article <d95cc38a-70bf-44d5-b5d2-f9248c16c2c4 at 15g2000prz.googlegroups.com>,
alex23  <wuwei23 at gmail.com> wrote:
>"Phillip M. Feldman" <pfeld... at verizon.net> wrote:
>> It does seem as though IPython could be a bit more clever about this. =A0
>
>I disagree. I _like_ that IPython is only reporting on the current
>state of the interpreter and not trying to second guess what I meant.
>
>> If the user asks for documentation on xyz via "?xyz" and xyz is not
>> defined, then I'd like to see IPython check for a module named "xyz" and
>> if it exists, extract and display the docstring.
>
>How would you recommend IPython distinguish between which "xyz" you
>meant: the one in site-packages, the one in some package on the python
>path, or the one in the folder you're running IPython from?

Alternatively, it could state that "xyz" is not loaded, but could be
loaded from one of the places you summarize.
(Kind of what Ubuntu does: hack?, I have no "hack" but such command
could be installed from BSD classical games. )

Groetjes Albert.

albert at spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst