iterators and views of lists

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 16:35:01 EST 2009

On Dec 18, 12:18 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach" <al... at start.no> wrote:
[lots of tangential information snipped]
> ...but I don't understand why you're limiting yourself to the STL.

Because I believe the vast majority of iterators used in C++ in
practice are the ones provided by STL types, therefore I felt a
statement about the STL iterators reflected the commonly used power
(if not the ultimate capability) of iterators in C++.  I suppose it
was a bit hasty.

> ... "ostream_iterator" ...

Well that's a good example.

I retract my statement that C++ iterators in general not having this
power, but I still doubt that C++ iterators are used like this much.
In most code I've seen people use STL or similar data structures, and
then use the iterators for the particular data type, and/or pointers.

Carl Banks