how do I set a Python installation as the default under windows ?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Dec 19 19:20:29 EST 2009

Stef Mientki wrote:
> hello,
>
> I just upgraded from Python 2.5 to 2.6.
> Most of the things work,
> but I'm struggling with one issue,
> when I start Python in a command window,
> it still uses Python 2.5.
>
> Is there a way to get Python 2.6 as my default Python environment ?
>
> thanks,
> Stef Mientki

It's a matter of replacing C:\Python25 with C:\Python26 in your PATH
environment variable, which is what the Windows command processor uses
to fined executable programs. It's normal to add both the directory the
interpreter lives in /and/  its Scripts subdirectory, so you may have
two replacements to make. See

  http://www.python.org/doc/faq/windows/

for more. If anyone has any good updates to that document I'll be happy
to make them (or give you permission to make them ...). It was written a
long time ago, and I'm not sure it's had much love. In particular
there'll not be anything relating to Windows 7.

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/