The fun of Python (was Re: When will Python 3 be fully deployed)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Dec 21 00:04:28 EST 2009

In article <roy-8D00E9.17341520122009 at news.panix.com>,
Roy Smith  <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>In article <hgll51$cv0$1 at panix5.panix.com>, aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz)
>wrote:
>>
>> --
>> Looking back over the years, after I learned Python I realized that I
>> never really had enjoyed programming before.
>
>That's a sad commentary.  Python is fun to use, but surely there are other
>ways you can enjoy programming?

Not really.  I've been programming more than thirty years, and the
closest I came previously to enjoying programming was Turbo Pascal, and
even that has too much tedium and lack of brain-fit.

Before Turbo Pascal, there was BASIC on an HP-1000.  Afterward came
HP-41, Ada, FORTRAN, Paradox PAL, C, Perl, and there must be some others
I'm forgetting.  Thankfully, I didn't learn Java until after I'd been
programming in Python for a while.  (And arguably I still haven't learned
Java despite writing a PGP encryption wrapper around BouncyCastle.)

Programming is difficult to begin with, and everything other than Python
just gets in my way.

To be fair, my quote isn't entirely honest: I never called myself a
programmer before I learned Python because I didn't really like it.  It
took Python to make me realize that programming *could* be fun, or at
least not annoying enough to keep me from making a career of programming.