RotatingFileHandler key error when parsing a logging config file

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Tue Dec 22 07:28:19 EST 2009

jordilin wrote:
> Hi,
>  I've a config for logging where I set up a file rotation with
> handlers.RotatingFileHandler and when the app parses the logging
> config it says keyError when trying to parse that section
> ('RotatingFileHandler' is not defined). Curiously enough, I can do
> import logging and from logging.handlers import RotatingFileHandler.
>
> Example:
>
> [handlers]
> keys=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
>
> [formatters]
> keys=simpleFormatter
>
> [logger_root]
> level=DEBUG
> handlers=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
>
> [handler_handlers.RotatingFileHandler]
> class=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
> level=DEBUG
> formatter=simpleFormatter
>

> I'm using python 2.4 in the servers. I'm having this in a particular
> one, which seems like there must be some kind of configuration error.
> Any suggestions,
> Thanks

I'm not using config files, but by looking at the documentation, I would
suggest to use another name for your handler.

[handler_foo]
class=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
level=DEBUG
formatter=simpleFormatter

just name it foo for test purpose, dotted names may not be supported.
Also I would not not the exact same name as
logging.handlers.RotatingFileHandler, your risk some name collision
wetween the structure you have created and the logging module class.

JM