Ironpython experience

Lev elbertlev at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 23 03:41:46 EST 2009

I'm an on and off Python developer and use it as one of the tools.
Never for writing "full-blown" applications, but rather small, "one-of-
a-kind" utilities. This time I needed some sort of backup and
reporting utility, which is to be used by the members of our team
once or twice a day. Execution time is supposed be negligible. The
project was an ideal candidate to be implemented in Python.  As
expected the whole script was about 200 lines and was ready in a 2
hours (the power of Python!).Then I downloaded Ironpython and
relatively painlessly (except the absence of zlib) converted the
Python code to Ironpython. Works fine and Ironython really is Python.
But...

The CPython 2.6 script runs 0.1 seconds, while Ironpython 2.6 runs
about 10 seconds. The difference comes from the start-up, when all
these numerous dlls/assemblies are loaded and JITed.

Is there any way to speed up the process.