OT: Broadband TV

Victor Subervi victorsubervi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 14:24:16 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 2:13 PM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> Victor Subervi wrote:
>
>> My professional background before programming was media and I got into
>> this because I saw where the industry was eventually headed. I'd like to
>> find out what the people in the know have to say about when broadband
>> quality is high enough to reliably stream video and the penetration of such
>> broadband is high enough to topple the local media outlets. I haven't had
>> success googling this, nor have I found a discussion list that would address
>> such a question. Any ideas?
>>
>>  There's already BBC iPlayer and other catch-up services in the UK. HDTV
> is/will be available where broadband speeds are fast enough.

I presume, then, that you either live in the UK or are very acquainted with
it. As you probably are aware, the rest of the world is about 3 years ahead
of the US because of our archaic communications infrastructure that cripples
competition. So you say it's already started in the UK. Any ideas when
broadband speeds will be fast enough on the other side of the pond?
TIA,
beno