How do I install GMPY 1.11 on a Mac with OS X 10.6 and Python 3.1?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Sat Dec 26 15:07:21 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM, casevh <casevh at gmail.com> wrote:
> (I'm one of the GMPY maintainers but I have no access to Macs....)
>
> The same GMPY source should should compile with all version of Python
> 2.4 and later.

Like I said in the my last post, it appears to be an issue with
distutils distributed with the python.org installer. The makefile
distutils uses to compile C sources specifies the SDK for 10.4, but
Apple only gives the SDKs for the latest two versions of OS X (10.5
and 10.6 right now)

> I think the makefile is created when that specific version of Python
> is compiled. Was Python 3.1 included with OS X or was it installed
> separately? If it was installed separately, was it installed from
> macports or python.org?

Python 3 has to be installed separately. The issues appear in the
python.org installer. I haven't tried using Macports yet.

> I have a couple other generic questions.
>
> Is Python 2.6 built as a 32 or 64-bit application? (sys.maxint)
>
> Is the gmp library 32 or 64-bit? (gmpy.gmp_limbsize())
>
> For best performance with large numbers, GMPY should be compiled as a
> 64-bit application. If Python and gmp are not compiled in 64-bit mode,
> you probably will want to compile both of them from source or find 64-
> bit versions.

Macs usually work with Universal binaries. The System's Python 2.6 is
a 3-way binary: ppc, i386, and  x86_64. It runs in 64-bit mode when
you're on a Mac with a 64-bit processor and 32-bit mode when you're on
a 32-bit processor. If gmp was built using Macports, then it was
compiled to whatever the system supports, so most likely 64-bit.