Author of a Python Success Story Needs a Job!

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Dec 28 08:21:38 EST 2009

Andrew Jonathan Fine wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I am the author of "Honeywell Avoids Documentation Costs with Python
> and other Open Standards!"
>
> I was laid off by Honeywell several months after I had made my
> presentation in the 2005 Python Conference.
>
> Since then I have been unable to find work either as a software
> engineer or in any other capacity, even at service jobs.  I've sent
> resumes and have been consistently ignored.
>
> What I have been doing in the meantime is to be a full time homemaker
> and parent.   As a hobby to keep me sane, I am attempting to retrain
> part time at home as a jeweler and silversmith, and I sometimes used
> Python for generating and manipulating code for CNC machines.
>
> For my own peace of mind, however, I very much want to be doing
> software work again because I feel so greatly ashamed to have
> dedicated my life to learning and working in the field only to now
> find myself on the scrap heap.
>
> I find it highly ironic that my solution is still being advertised on
> the Python web site but that I, the author of that solution, am now a
> long term unemployment statistic.
>
> Please, if there is anyone out there who needs a highly creative and
> highly skilled software designer for new and completely original work,
> then for the love of God I implore you to contact me.
>
> A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Andrew Jonathan Fine
> BEE, MSCS, 15 years experience, 5 in Python, the rest in C/C++,
> about 1/3 embedded design and device drivers, and 2/3 in applications.

Andrew:

I am sorry to hear about your predicament. Unfortunately Holden Web
isn't hiring, so I can't offer you a job, but I wanted to at least thank
you for your support of Python and commiserate with you. These are
difficult times to be looking for work in the USA.

Do you follow the Python Job Board? It's a resource that not everyone
knows about, where employers are allowed to post free for the benefit of
Python community members who may be looking for a job.

  http://www.python.org/community/jobs/

Hope this helps.

regards
 Steve