multiprocessing module

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Dec 31 17:22:25 EST 2009

In article <79854c42-b2af-4adb-8967-3dc5e4ac0d2a at l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
makobu  <makobu.mwambiriro at gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a function that makes two subprocess.Popen() calls on a file.
>
>I have 8 cores. I need 8 instances of that function running in
>parallel at any given time till all the files are worked on.
>Can the multiprocessing module do this? If so, whats the best method?

You don't quite explicitly say so, but it sounds like you have multiple
files.  In which case, yes, it should be reasonably straightforward to
use multiprocessing; I haven't used it myself, but what you want must be
whatever is equivalent to Queue.Queue().

>A technical overview of how the multiprocessing module actually works
>would also be really helpful.

Not having any clue what you already know makes that rather a daunting
prospect, as indicated by the lack of replies.  Maybe you could
summarize?