Anybody use web2py?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Mon Dec 21 03:50:17 EST 2009

mdipierro a écrit :
> On Dec 19, 12:42 am, AppRe Godeck <a... at godeck.com> wrote:
>> Just curious if anybody prefers web2py over django, and visa versa. I
>> know it's been discussed on a flame war level a lot. I am looking for a
>> more intellectual reasoning behind using one or the other.
>
> Of course I am the most biased person in the world on this topic

Indeed !-)

> - In web2py models and controllers are not modules. They are not
> imported. They are executed.

I assume you mean "executed in an environment defined by the framework"...

> This means you do not need to import
> basic web2py symbols. They are already defined in the environment that
> executes the models and controllers

Ok. As far as I'm concerned : show stops here.

>(like in Rails). This also means
> you do not need to restart the web server when you edit your app.

The dev server that comes with Django do the autorestart thing. And you
*don't* "edit yoour app" directly on the production server, do you ?

> - You have a web based IDE with editor,

Why should I care ? I have a way better development environment on my
own box.

> some conflict resolution,
> Mercurial integration,

What if use something else than mercurial ?

> ticketing system,

...doesn't belong to the framework. FWIW, I already have a ticketing
system that's language/techno agnostic, thanks.

> - The DAL supports transactions. It means it will create and/or ALTER
> tables for you as your model changes.

Err... how does schema changes relates to transactions ???

Now FWIW, when my schema do change, the create/alter table code is
usually the most trivial part - there are quite a few other things to
do, that no framework will ever be abale to guess. IOW, you *do* have to
write a migration script anyway.

> - The DAL has partial support for some legacy databases that do not
> have an 'id' auto increment primary key.

Django's ORM has full support for tables that don't use an "auto_id" key.

> Anyway, I think both system are great. Spend 15 minutes (no more) with
> each to make up your mind, and stick with it.

Once again, while doing a quick dummy test app can give you a first
general "feel" of the tool, it means nothing wrt/ complex real-world
applications.