subprocess.Popen not creating a pipe

Andrew Parker gbofspam at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 13:46:56 EST 2009

I'm having some fun with Popen.  I have the following line:

    process = subprocess.Popen(command, stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
    print process.stdout

Under normal circumstances, this displays:

    <open file '<stdout>', mode 'w' at 0xb7f8e068>

However, I have a binary that I use to kick off this script, and when
that runs, it displays:

    None

So, two questions:

    1.  What the heck is this binary doing that upsets Popen so much?
    2.  What can *my script* do to get around this problem.

Unfortunately I'm stuck using this binary, so its the python where I
have to solve this.

Any ideas?