Combining several text files

Eric eric.shain at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:48:53 EST 2009

This is my first post, so please advise if I'm not using proper
etiquette. I've actually searched around a bit and while I think I can
do this, I can't think of a clean elegant way. I'm pretty new to
Python, but from what I've learned so far is that there is almost
always an easier way.

I have to parse several log files. I've already written a working
parser. The log files are simple text files that when they get to a
certain size are renamed to append a number. So, you might end up
with:

filename.log.2
filename.log.1
filename.log

The higher the number, the older the file. I want to search for all
the files in a directory with "filename.log" as part of their name.
Then I can do one of two things. First I could combine them so that
the resulting file ends up with the oldest on top and newest on the
bottom. Otherwise, I could just iterate over the multiple files within
my parser.

I don't need working code (that makes things too easy), just clear
suggestions to a Python newcomer to speed me on my way.

Thanks