Locating python

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 17:24:48 EST 2009

On Feb 3, 3:24 pm, David Sevilla <sevil... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this was answered somewhere else, I have not found
> anything similar anywhere.
>
> I have SUSE 11.0 and I am trying to install a program called
> mnemosyne. I need easy_install for this, for which I installed
> setuptools through yast2. But when I run easy_install for the final
> installation, I get an error like this:
>
> [...]
> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-
> packages/test-easy-install-3728.pth'
>
> The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix,
> or the distutils default setting) was:
>
>     /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
>
> This directory does not currently exist. [...]
>
> From what I have gathered by reading here and there, it seems that the
> actual path for site-packages is not the place where it is being
> looked for. Sure enough, I have /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-
> packages/ . What worries me is that there is no file called test*
> there, and I am not even able to find the site.py file mentioned in
> site-packages/README. I suspect that I have two concurrent
> installations or something like that (I do have python and python2.5
> inside /usr/lib). How do I untangle this? Or at least how do I get
> easy_install to find the right place?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> David

I would get setuptools from the official source:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools

Install it using the python of your choice. You may have to pass a
full path to the python "binary" to make sure you're using the right
one. So, after downloading and decompressing the setuptools package,
change directory into it. Then run something like this:

/path/to/python setup.py install

I think that will work...of course, your mileage may vary. I haven't
used SUSE. Doesn't SUSE have a package manager like Ubuntu's apt-get?
You might be able to just use that too..

Mike