Locating python

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Tue Feb 3 17:30:26 EST 2009

the exact details of what you are reporting seem a bit odd, but i have
seen a similar error because i have tried to use my own account to
install the package, instead of using root.

what i believe happens is that easy_install first tries to create the
"test" file, and then checks it is there.  if it is not there, you get
an error.  normally the error explains that you need to run as root,
but i assume in your case it doesn't - that seems odd, but it seemed
worth mentioning anyway.

so if you have not done so, instead of

  python setup.py install

do

  sudo python setup.py install

more generally, i have used opensuse 11.0 and 11.1, and generally
things work just fine, so i would check you are following all the
instructions correctly.

good luck,
andrew