Good or bad use of __repr__?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Wed Feb 4 03:51:25 EST 2009

Alaric Haag a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Is the use of __repr__ below a "really bad idea"?

I'd probably do the same as Stephen Hansen ("<Dimension(size=50)>") or
at least something quite similar.

Now on a totally unrelated point (micro optimization anyone ?):

> class Dimension():
>     def __init__(self, setp, name):
>         ptr = setp.contents.dim
>         while ptr.contents.name != name:
>             ptr = ptr.contents.next
>         self.name = ptr.contents.name
>         self.size = ptr.contents.size
>         self.unlimited = bool(ptr.contents.unlimited)
>         self.coord = ptr.contents.coord

In the above code, you're constantly refering to ptr.contents, and never
use ptr directly. Attribute lookup is not free, so it's better to avoid
them. Local bindings lookup, OTHO, is quite fast. IOW, this would better
be written as:

      def __init__(self, setp, name):
          contents = setp.contents.dim
          while contents.name != name:
              contents = contents.next
          self.name = contents.name
          self.size = contents.size
          self.unlimited = bool(contents.unlimited)
          self.coord = contents.coord