Couple of noobish question

Tim Rowe digitig at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 19:45:56 EST 2009

2009/2/5  <afriere at yahoo.co.uk>:
> On Feb 5, 11:14 am, Tim Rowe <digi... at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On an MS Windows system, os.uname()[0] raises an AttributeError -- sys
>> doesn't seem to contain uname. Is that a Linux thing? Would os.name
>> work on Linux? Or would one have to use exception handling and catch
>> the Windows case?
>
> It seems to be a Windows thing.  My Linux box gives me 'Linux' the
> server gives me 'SunOS' and a Mac tells me 'Darwin'.  I'm still
> running Python2.4 on the Windows box.  At least in that version on the
> OS,  the 'os' module has no attribute 'uname',  On both Linux and
> SunOS, os.name returns 'posix'.

Python in a Nutshell states that os.uname "exists only on certain
platforms", and in the code sample wraps it in a try statement. That
seems to be the safe way to go -- except (and I don't know much about
this) wouldn't code have to be digging into some pretty obscure
corners to find a difference between different posix implementations?

--
Tim Rowe