Python 3.0 slow file IO

thomasvangurp at gmail.com thomasvangurp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 06:16:46 EST 2009

I just recently learned python, I'm using it mainly to process huge
<5GB txt files of ASCII information about DNA. I've decided to learn
3.0, but maybe I need to step back to 2.6?

I'm getting exceedingly frustrated by the slow file IO behaviour of
python 3.0. I know that a bug-report was submitted here:
http://bugs.python.org/issue4533. And a solution was posted.
However, i don't know how to apply this patch. I've searched the
forums and tried:
C:\python30> patch -p0 < fileio_buffer.patch
The patch command is not recognized..

Any help on implementing this patch, or advice on moving back to the
older version is appreciated.
Kind regards,
Thomas