urllib2 performance on windows, usb connection

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Fri Feb 6 09:48:23 EST 2009

On 2009-02-06, Martin v. L?wis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> To investigate further, you might drop the write operating,
> and measure only source.read(). If that is slower, then, for
> some reason, the network speed is bad on Windows. Maybe you
> have the network interfaces misconfigured? Maybe you are using
> wireless on Windows, but cable on Linux? Maybe you have some
> network filtering software running on Windows?

> Maybe it's just that Windows sucks?-)

MAYBE?

Good one.

A friend of mine signed up for 6MB/s DSL a while back.  She set
up the DSL modem/WAP/firewall according to QWest's instructions
and it basically worked, but her download speeds were much
slower than they should have been.  It turns out that the
Windows drivers for the Intel WiFi chipset used in many laptops
completely and utterly sucked.  Her laptop and my laptop used
the same WiFi chipset and neither could sustain more than about
1MB/s speeds when running Windows. I know my Windows setup was
running no firewall or virus scanner software.  Connecting to
the DSL modem via Ethernet cable brought the download speeds up
to 6MB/s.

When Linux was running on either laptop, the WiFi link ran at
full speed, and DSL was the bottleneck as it should have been.
Windows support was just plain broken for one of the most
popular WiFi chipsets (the Intel Pro 2200BG).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm wearing PAMPERS!!
                                  at