urllib2 performance on windows, usb connection

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Fri Feb 6 19:26:40 EST 2009

dq wrote:
 >> MRAB wrote:

 >>> You could try copying the file to the iPod using the command
 >>> line, or copying data from disk to iPod in, say, C, anything but
 >>> Python. This would allow you to identify whether Python itself
 >>> has anything to do with it.
 >>
 >> Well, I think I've partially identified the problem.  target.write(
 >> source.read() ) runs perfectly fast, copies 20 megs in about a
 >> second, from HD to iPod.  However, if I run the same code in a
 >> while loop, using a certain block size, say target.write(
 >> source.read(4096) ), it takes forever (or at least I'm still timing
 >> it while I write this post).
 >>
 >> The mismatch seems to be between urllib2's block size and the write
 >> speed of the iPod, I might try to tweak this a little in the code
 >> and see if it has any effect.
 >>
 >> Oh, there we go:   20 megs in 135.8 seconds.  Yeah... I might want
 >> to try to improve that...
 >
 > After some tweaking of the block size, I managed to get the DL speed
 > up to about 900 Mb/s.  It's still not quite Ubuntu, but it's a good
 > order of magnitude better.  The new DL code is pretty much this:
 >
 > """
 > blocksize = 2 ** 16    # plus or minus a power of 2
 > source = urllib2.urlopen( 'url://string' )
 > target = open( pathname, 'wb')
 > fullsize = float( source.info()['Content-Length'] )
 > DLd = 0
 > while DLd < fullsize:
 >     DLd = DLd + blocksize
 >     # optional:  write some DL progress info
 >     # somewhere, e.g. stdout
 > target.close()
 > source.close()
 > """

I'd like to suggest that the block size you add to 'DLd' be the actual
size of the returned block, just in case the read() doesn't return all
you asked for (it might not be guaranteed, and the chances are that the
final block will be shorter, unless 'fullsize' happens to be a multiple
of 'blocksize').

If less is returned by read() then the while-loop might finish before
all the data has been downloaded, and if you just add 'blocksize' each
time it might end up > 'fullsize', ie apparently >100% downloaded!