Running all unit tests

Jason Voegele jason at jvoegele.com
Fri Feb 6 21:11:15 EST 2009

I'm working on my first substantial Python project, and I'm following a fully
test-first approach.  I'd like to know how Pythonistas typically go about
running all of their tests to ensure that my application stays "green".

In Ruby, I would have a Rake task so that I could say "rake test" and all
tests would be executed.  In C or C++ I would have a make target so I could
run all my tests with "make test".  In Java it would be an Ant task and "ant
test".  And so forth and so on.

What's the recommended approach for Python programs?  I'm sure I could write
a shell script (or a Python script even) that scans my "test" directory for
test cases and runs them, but I'm wondering if there's something already
built in that could do this for me.

--
Jason Voegele
Only fools are quoted.